Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella

Man, where to start with this book.

First of all, this book was nothing like what I thought it was going to be. Absolutely nothing.

It starts out with the main character, Lara, going to the funeral of her Great Aunt Sadie. While at this funeral, Sadie appears to Lara as a ghost, demanding for her necklace. So, Lara goes on the quest to find Sadie’s necklace so that she can rest in peace.

Now, maybe it’s only because I didn’t realize Sadie was going to be an actual “ghost” or maybe it’s just because I think writing about a ghost is absolutely ridiculous, but either way, I wasn’t a fan.

Sadie was an absolutely obnoxious character that I couldn’t stand. From what I heard, that’s what Kinsella was going for, but still. I mean, it pained me to read page after page where she was talking. Secondly, the events that transpire during this novel are absolutely 100% ridiculous. Now, I love my fiction novels (especially chick lit) just as much as the next girl, but really. Do you honestly expect me to believe that this Lara girl just walked into some random office and sat down in the middle of a meeting to ask some guy out. And that he said yes and then followed through it? Or that she wore all 20’s style clothing to the date just for Sadie? Or that one the date he spilled his entire life story about his ex-wife? And then Sadie got mad when Lara and this fellow actually wanted to start dating. It was all just way too far fetched and really lame. It really wasn’t even funny. And I hate to say that. Because I really enjoy most of Sophie Kinsella’s books, but seriously? This book was lame.

No comments:

Post a Comment